Friday, February 24, 2012

अर्थकारी च विद्या

There is phrase - "when in Rome, do as Romans". We are talking about International standard of education in country where guys from the super schools (Read international curriculum) will have to perform & compete in India with a per capita income of Rs. 56K per annum. Our country is ranked 134th in human development Index (Not to undermine). The challenges will be not only of economics but humanities. We should not follow the system which suits respective countries. We shall emphasise on a system which suits our requirements.

I was under impression that Indian kids are better performing than their counterparts worldwide. I was in myth till I came across a release in TOI, few days back. As per the article, Fifteen-year-old Indians who were put, for the first time, on a global stage stood second to last, only beating Kyrgyzstan when tested on their reading, math and science abilities. India ranked second last among the 73 countries that participated in the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA), conducted annually to evaluate education systems worldwide by the OECD (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development) Secretariat.

Though I do not believe too much in all these survey but it is important to build capabilities and competencies to cope with the challenges which Future India will throw on our Kids. This where so called international system might be less effective..

When I was kid, I was not allowed to play much. My music classes were not appreciated. I got a bicycle when I reached my class 8. I used to curse my parents. Today, I thank my parents including my lovable cha-cha for being so strict to me. Whatever small or big I am, it is due to that treatment. I am not justifying them. But, I have a strong logic for that. My parents were aware of the fact that, they may not be able to support my hobby, which might not earn money to support the family. My family was a system, where education was an investment. They had to follow economics as they had no choice with their limited earning.

Today when I am parent, the challenges are different and so the point of view. We wish to have 360* development of our child. No harm whishing but, sounds more like a management jargon with less scope of practicality. Today I am open to accept the choice of my kid and support her to opt her profession. But still I believe that the core of any form of education or profession still lies in its ability to make the student economically independent.

My grandfather used to tell me this Famous quote from Chankya’s Arthshashtra “Arthkari cha Vidya” (Vidya Wahi hai jo dhan uparjan kar sake)

4 comments:

  1. Agree Pawan sir!
    I also feel, more-or-less, the same way you feel about your guardians. These days the expectation of 360 degree development of a child is mounting pressure on them. Its important to give the child the liberty to choose his/her profession. But the challenge is to make him/her mentally and psychologically self dependent in taking decisions which are right according to the interest level and skills required.

    Enjoyed reading!
    Hope another one soon!
    -CBR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks CBR.. can u pls introduce urself...

      Delete
    2. My mistake sir!

      This is Chandra Bhal Rathour, I work with Emami, Kolkata.
      :)

      Delete
  2. Great read, the kids are under a lot of pressure these days, if you are good with the books you are just ordinary..

    ReplyDelete